Electoral Commission of Queensland

Special Enrolment Categories

There are a number of special enrolment categories available to electors with specific needs or circumstances. If you believe you meet the criteria for one of these categories you will need to complete the applicable enrolment form.

Special postal voter

Registering as a special postal voter means that you will automatically receive an application for ballot material or ballot papers by post for each election applicable to you. To register as a special postal voter you must meet one of the following criteria:

  • reside at an address more than 20km from a polling booth
  • registered as a silent elector
  • unable to attend a polling booth due to religious beliefs
  • unable to sign due to a physical incapacity.

Silent elector

If you feel that having your address shown on the electoral roll could endanger the personal safety of you or your family, you can register as a silent elector. Approval to register and vote as a silent elector is not automatic and is granted at the discretion of the Australian Electoral Commission.

No fixed address

If you do not have a fixed, permanent address you are still eligible to enrol and vote. To register under the no fixed address category you must be an Australian citizen, aged 18 years or older and be:

  • living somewhere temporarily without a permanent home to return to; or
  • experiencing homelessness, living in crisis or transitional accommodation.

This category is not available for people travelling (overseas, interstate, or for work) that have a permanent home to return to.

Overseas electors

There are a number of options to support electors travelling overseas for either a short or extended period of time.

For example, you can complete an overseas notification form if you will be unable to vote whilst travelling internationally. If you are travelling indefinitely you have the option to be removed from the electoral roll while you are away, however once you return to Australia you will be required to re-enrol.